Number Match

 Personal Objective:

This lesson is created to teach Prekindergarten students to exercise their ability to practice number recognition and counting. This skill will teach students the concept of counting consecutively as well as how to match numbers appropriately. Students will engage in a number matching activity using necessary materials to demonstrate their understanding of number sense. 

Common Core Standard:

PK.MATH.3. [NY-PK.CC.3.] Understands the relationship between numbers and quantities to 10, connects counting to cardinality

PK.MATH.3a. [NY-PK.CC.3a.] When counting objects, says the number names in the standard order, pairing each object with one and only one number name and each number name with one and only one object. (1:1 correspondence)

PK.MATH.4b. [NY-PK.CC.4b] Given a number from 1-10, counts out that many objects 

 

Mathematical Practice Standards

MP4. Model with Mathematics

MP5. Use appropriate tools strategically

Materials & Preparation

  • Number Chart & Pointer
  • Poster Board with Numbers on it
  • precut numbers and words
  • bowl (to hold pre-cut pictures)
  • glue

Activity:

1. I will stand in the front of the classroom next to the "Number" chart. I will share with students that today we will be learning to recognize and matching numbers, I will say "what will we be learning about?" and students will be expected to repeat back to me recognizing and matching numbers*

2. Next, I will explain to students that as I point to a number using a pointer they will repeat after me the name of each number.  As I began, I pointed to the number one and said: "One," students said  "ONE." Next I pointed to and said "Five" Students called out, "FIVE." As I continued, "Eight" students repeated, "EIGHT," this process was repeated until we  completed numbers between 1-10

3. Afterwards, I will repeat this process of using the pointer to point to each number However, this time allowing students to name each number on their own the best that they can.

4. Next, I will take out a poster board with numbers between 1-10 placed on it in order. I will share with students that "today as a class we will be making a Number Chart."  We will do this by first choosing any of the pre-cut number pictures or number words out of the bowl. Next, saying aloud your chosen number and showing it to the class. Afterwards, students will glue the number next to its match. 

5. Leading by example, I will choose a number from the bowl at random, say aloud the number, and show it to students. Afterwards, I will find my number match and glue it in the correct place (to show students what to do).

6. I will now begin to call on students one at a time, so they can each have a chance to participate. As they engage, I will ask questions such as: What number is it? Which number on the chart matches the one in your picture? How do you know?

7. After each student had the opportunity to participate, I will ask students who's ready to "Blast-Off" on our rocket ship? *Students are likely to say "MEEEEEEE." Then I will ask should we start with the number 10 and count backwards? or number 1 and count forward? *Students chose the number 10*

8. As a class we will count aloud backwards, "10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1. . . BLAST-OFF" * students wave their hands in the air*


Other Resources:
Book: Zero
By: Kathryn Otoshi



Reflection:

I chose this task because counting and recognizing numbers is one of the important early sense skills students can learn. It is a critical skill which will be helpful for students to understanding more complicated math later on. Learning how to count is not only apart of memorization but an abstract concept as well. When students learn how to count they are able to:

  • Understand ordinal and cardinal numbers and their connections
  • Count with understanding and recognize “how many” in sets of objects

As students engage I will ask open ended questions such as "What number is it? Which number on the chart matches the one in your picture? How do you know?" to help students to consider broader, unique responses.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Measure Up!

Subitize It!

Big, Medium and Small