Shape it Up!

 Personal Objective

This lesson is created to teach Prekindergarten students that shapes don't have to be puzzling. With this lesson, students will learn the names of shapes and they will engage as they put simple shape puzzles together in its correct place.

Common Core Standard:

PK.MATH.12. [NY-PK.G.1.] Describes objects in the environment using names of shapes and describes the relative positions of these objects using terms such as top, bottom, up, down, above, below, in front of, behind, over, under, next to 

 PK.MATH.13. [NY-PK.G.2.] Names shapes regardless of size 

PK.ELAL.27. [PKL.4] Explores and uses new vocabulary in child-centered, authentic, play-based experiences 

Mathematical Practice Standards

MP4. Model with Mathematics

MP5. Use appropriate tools strategically

Materials & Preparation

  • Magnetic Shape Sorting Rods Puzzle
  • Wooden Educational Shape Puzzles

Activity:

1. I will stand in the front of the classroom next to the "Shapes" chart. I will share with students that today we will be learning about shapes, I will say "what will we be learning about?" and students will be expected to repeat back to me *Shapes*

2. Next, I will explain to students that as I point to a shape using a pointer they will repeat after me the name of each shape.  As I began, I pointed to the shape and named the shape: "Circle," students said  "CIRCLE," next I pointed to and said "Triangle" Students called out, "TRIANGLE." As I continued, "Square" students repeated, "SQUARE," this process was repeated until we  completed the shapes: hexagon, octagon, pentagon, oval, rectangle,, diamond, star, heart, and trapezoid."

3. Afterwards, I will repeat this process of using the pointer to point to each shape. However, this time allowing students to name each shape on their own the best that they can.

4. Next, I will take out Magnetic Sorting Rods Puzzles and Wooden Educational Shape Puzzles for students to engage in either alone or with a classmate. I will share with students that "today we will be completing Shape Puzzles."  We will do this by either using the Magnetic Shape Sorting Rods Puzzles or our Wooden Educational Shape Puzzles to practice. 

5. Leading by example, I will choose a shape at random and place it into its correct place (to show students what to do).

6. As students engage in individual instruction, I will ask questions such as: What shape is this? What color(s) do we see? What is the name of the object that we see? Can we count the shapes?



Other Resources:






Reflection:

I chose this task because our world is made up of shapes. Therefore, I believe its important to teach students how to identify shapes. Teaching shapes to students, helps them to identify and organize visual information. This is because they will learn to understand/recognize different signs and symbols. It is also, a great way for students to be introduced to problem solving and exercise their ability to do so through using puzzles.

As students engage I will ask open ended questions to help students to consider their own thoughts. I also, opened up the opportunity for students to choose whether or not they'd like to work collaboratively with a partner or independently to gain a deeper understanding of the topic.



Comments

  1. This was an amazing post and super helpful, particularly as you reflected on the importance of being sure that students need to begin to gain an understanding of shapes because as you said, our world is made of shapes. It was also great to read the lesson that you broke down for this activity and the artifacts that you presented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! seriously miss working with the younger kids. They are no only learning shapes, but learn what objects represents the shape, through identity. They learn colors and even quantity. Great activity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I notice how you often have the students repeat back what they're going to be doing/learning. I can see that it's a simple but powerful technique to get them engaged by having them verbalize the object of the lesson. It makes them responsible for their own learning. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Measure Up!

Subitize It!

Big, Medium and Small