Subitize It!

Personal Objective

This lesson is created to teach Prekindergarten/Kindergarten students to exercise their subitizing skills. In other words, a skill which will teach students how to recognize and understand "How Many?" without counting. Students will engage as they complete a worksheet.

Common Core Standard(s):

PK.MATH.3. [NY-PK.CC.3.] Understands the relationship between numbers and quantities to 10, connects counting to cardinality

PK. MATH.3b. [NY-PK.CC.3b.] & K. MATH.6. [NY-K.CC.4b.] Explores and develops the concept that the last number name said tells the number of objects counted, (cardinality). The number of objects is the same regardless of their arrangement or the order in which they were counted

Mathematical Practice Standards

MP4. Model with Mathematics

MP5. Use appropriate tools strategically

Materials & Preparation

  • Math Worksheet
  • Crayons

Activity:

1. I will stand in the front of the classroom next to the dry erase board. I will explain to students that today we will be learning "How Many?" I will ask students "What will we be learning?" they will repeat back to me "How Many?"

2. Using a dry erase marker, dry erase board (big enough for all students to see) I will draw shapes or pictures on the board (for instance, 3 squares or 5 balloons).  In order to model for students what we will be doing, I will share with students how many I see. 

3. Next, I will tell students that now it is their turn to share with the class how many do they see. For each drawn shape/picture, I will call on students one at a time to share how many they see? This process will be repeated until each student has a turn to participate.

4. Afterwards, I will explain to students that they will follow this same process of "how many" by working independently to complete a worksheet. 

5. As I hand out one crayon and one subitizing worksheet to each student, I will explain to students that I would like for them to use their crayons to color in the correct number of pictures they see (without counting, just think mathematically as practiced). 

6. As students engage in individual instruction, I will ask questions such as: What number is this? and How many do we see? 

   


Other Resources:








Reflection:

I chose this task because subitizing is the ability to identify a quantity without counting (which is an important skill). This skill is great for students to exercise at an early age because it is an important part of their development/understanding of:

1. Basic number sense skills. 

2. Understanding "How Many" as well as more/less

3. Pattern Recognition

4. Doing quick calculations

As students engage I will ask open ended questions to help students to consider their own thoughts and share their own understanding of the subject in detail. 



Comments

  1. Adiyah, I love your blog! Not only is the content useful but you organize it in a way that is very clear and easy follow. I am definitely going to use this subitizing activity with my kindergartener.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing lesson! i love the way you organize your procedure, the way you model it for your students and the artifacts that you provide in this post. This is also a lesson that some of the first grade students can use due to the pandemic. Thank you for the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all your lessons, this is another great one. They even get to color it, which I know they love .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great - it brings me back to when my daughter was in preschool and I first learned the term "subitize". I had not heard it before and never even knew there was a term for knowing the amount of items just by looking. But then I remember noticing how often I 'subitized' doing regular day-to-day activities and I realized what a crucial skill this is!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Measure Up!

Big, Medium and Small