Addition: How Many?

 Personal Objective

This lesson is created to teach Prekindergarten/Kindergarten students how to add. Students will learn to familiarize themselves with what the plus sign (+) and equal sign (=) looks like. They will also exercise their counting and number recognition skills in order to find the sum. Students will engage both as a class and independently by completing a worksheet.

Common Core Standard(s):

PK.MATH.3. [NY-PK.CC.3.] Understands the relationship between numbers and quantities to 10, connects counting to cardinality

PK. MATH.3b. [NY-PK.CC.3b.] & K. MATH.6. [NY-K.CC.4b.] Explores and develops the concept that the last number name said tells the number of objects counted, (cardinality). The number of objects is the same regardless of their arrangement or the order in which they were counted

PK.MATH.8. [NY-PK.OA.1.] Explores addition and subtraction by using objects, fingers, and responding to real world situations (e.g., if we have 3 apples and add 2 more, how many apples do we have all together?) 

Mathematical Practice Standards

MP6. Attend to precision

MP8. Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning

Materials & Preparation

  • Math Worksheet
  • pencils

Activity:

1. I will stand in the front of the classroom next to the dry erase board. I will explain to students that today we will be learning "How to add" I will ask students "What will we be learning? they will repeat back to me "How to add." I will explain to students we add by figuring out "How Many?" I will ask students how do we add they will repeat back to me "we learn How Many?"

2. Using a dry erase marker, dry erase board (big enough for all students to see) I will draw the plus sign and equal sign and show students how it looks and what they mean. I will repeat this about three times and have them repeat it.

3. Next, I will teach students how to add with pictures and numbers. Using my marker I will draw 3 balloons + 2 balloons =. I will have students count with me the first set of balloons 1,2,3 and I will write this number and then point to the plus sign *Students will say "Plus" then we will count the next set of balloons together 1,2. Pointing to the equal sign students will say "Equals." I will now say 3+2=?? I will explain to students that in order to find the sum we must count all of the balloons we see. As I point to each balloon, please count. While pointing students will say "1,2,3,4,5." Now we know that 3+2=5.

4. I will practice with students a few more examples (by drawing pictures/shapes, addition symbols, and numbers). Some such as (6 flowers + 2 flowers=, 1 triangle + 2 triangles =, etc.).

5. Afterwards, I will instruct students to follow this same process of "adding/how many" by working independently to complete a worksheet. 

6.I will hand out one pencil and one addition worksheet to each student. I will explain to students that I would like for them to add each picture to the best of their ability and circle the correct answer.

7.  As students engage in individual instruction, I will ask questions such as: What pictures do you see? How many number pictures are in each box? Which number is correct?

          

                                                         

Other Resources:

Book: The Mission of Addition

By: Brian Cleary

Reflection:

I chose this task because addition is a skill students will use for the rest of their lives. It is a great strategy to teach children so that they master the relationships between numbers and how quantities relate to one another. Throughout this math lesson, students will be able to use visual aids and add small numbers to figure out the sum.

I will ensure to, ask guiding questions as students work. This includes: What pictures do you see? How many number pictures are in each box? Which number is correct? (The responses of the students will let me know if they understood the lesson).



Comments

  1. Hi Adiyah, I really liked this blog post. I am interested, I think, in teaching kindergarten as well, and found reading your lesson highly beneficial. I like that you take the time to review even the symbols pertaining to the content you are teaching. As someone who has never been in a classroom setting before, I have not given much thought into the basics. Pre-k and kindergarten students might not know what the equal sign or the plus sign mean as it relates to math- that is not something I thought about until I reviewed your lesson! Thank you for this!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Measure Up!

Subitize It!

Big, Medium and Small