Roll and Color

  Personal Objective

This lesson is created to teach Prekindergarten/Kindergarten students to enhance their number recognition and counting skills. Students will practice this by rolling the die (or dice) and coloring in the correct number.

Common Core Standard(s):

PK.MATH.1. [NY-PK.CC.1.] Counts to 20

PK.MATH.3. [NY-PK.CC.3.] Understands the relationship between numbers and quantities to 10, connects counting to cardinality

PK. MATH.3b. [NY-PK.CC.3b.] & K. MATH.6. [NY-K.CC.4b.] Explores and develops the concept that the last number name said tells the number of objects counted, (cardinality). The number of objects is the same regardless of their arrangement or the order in which they were counted

Mathematical Practice Standards

MP4. Model with Mathematics

MP5. Use appropriate tools strategically

MP7. Look for and make use of structure

Materials & Preparation

  • Dice
  • Roll and Color Dry Erase Poster
  • Dry Erase Marker

Activity:

1. I will stand in the front of the classroom next to the dry erase board. I will explain to students that today we will be engaging in a game activity to further exercise our number recognition and counting skills. I will tell students the name of the activity is called Roll and Color. I will ask students what is it called? They will repeat *Roll and Color.

2. Next, I will explain the instructions. I will share with students that, they will be rolling between 1-3 dice, then count aloud the dots, and use the dry erase marker to color in the correct number of dots counted.

3.  In order to model for students what we will be doing, I will take one die and roll it. As the die stops rolling I will count aloud the number of dots ("1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5"). I will say I have 5 dots, how many do I have? *students will say 5. I will now take a red dry erase marker and find the number "5" and color it. 

4. . Afterwards, I will instruct students to follow this same process of "Rolling and Coloring" as they called one at a time to participate.

5. As students engage, I will ask questions such as: How many dice would you like to roll? How many dots do you see? Can you find the number?

      

Other Resources:

Book: Ten Black Dots

Author: Donald Crews

                                         

Reflection:

I chose this task because in addition to students learning to count it would also be a great skill for them to learn how to recognize numbers. When students start an an early age group with understanding of math facts they will have a more comprehensible ability to complete any addition concepts that their teachers in each grade level may present. Therefore, in this activity, through the use of hands-on learning students will have the opportunity to engage in enriching functional math skills and independence. 

As students engage I will ask them open-ended questions to allow students the freedom to share any necessary details and build their socialization skills. 



Comments

  1. Hi Adiyah! I really enjoyed reading your post. I agree that students being able to recognize numbers is very important skill to have at a young age. The activity you chose is a great way to engage students as well and build independence in activities. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Measure Up!

Subitize It!

Big, Medium and Small